United Nations University Fellowship
PLEASE NOTE: for official information, specific details, and updated deadlines and instructions, please check the organization’s website and current application forms; if you have problems or questions, please contact us.
- November 30 for February 1st to July 31st Session
- May 31 August 1st to January 31st Session
- UNU-ONY Junior Professional Fellows positions require full-time commitments due to the high level of responsibilities given to interns. These are unpaid positions. On the job training and support is provided throughout the internship.
- Events: JPFs organize public seminars and invitation-only forums to showcase UNU’s research and work from different UNU Research and Training Centers around the world, and to promote a dialogue around global issues relevant to the UN. Tasks for event organizers include liaising with speakers, planning the agenda, arranging media coverage, conducting background research and other responsibilities that are needed to make the event a success.
- Marketing: JPFs market the UNU and its activities as a whole as well as the UNU-ONY more specifically. Marketing responsibilities include continuous updating of the contents on UNU-ONY’s website, basic editing of video and audio files for website postings, and developing partnerships with other organizations to market UNU’s news through syndication. Individuals with multimedia experience are encouraged to apply.
- Partnership-Fundraising: The UNU-ONY’s central location in New York and close proximity to the Washington D.C. area allow for relationship building with potential partners and donors. Responsibilities include building partnerships with academic institutions, private organizations and civil society stakeholders to further strengthen UNU’s visibility within the UN system and beyond.
- Policy Research: JPFs work to connect the UNU with the political and diplomatic realms, and assist UNU in becoming a stakeholder and fully-fledged partner of the UN system through policy research. Responsibilities include keeping UNU up-to-date on questions arising on the UN agenda and facilitating the UNU response to different developments in the global arena. JPFs are also responsible for contributing to research on a wide range of topics.
- Latin America: The aim is to develop partnerships and activities in Latin America, given the geographic proximity with the New York Office. Since Spanish translations can also be an important element in this cooperation, good written and spoken knowledge of Spanish is preferable.
- Additional Responsibilities: The Junior Professional Fellows are also responsible for general office work and administrative support, building UNU-ONY’s database of experts, as well as assisting in the recruitment process of Junior Professional Fellows for the following session.
The responsibilities of the Junior Professional Fellows (JPFs) range widely, encompassing all aspects of UNU-ONY’s work:
Eligibility and Restrictions:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Advanced level of English (spoken and written)
- Ability to work with a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Strong writing and research skills
- Knowledge of at least two official UN languages desirable (preferably French or Spanish)
- Master’s degree within relevant subjects preferred
- Apply online: http://www.ony.unu.edu/internships/application.html
- Submit all application materials (except the reference letters, which are to be sent separately) in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org [subject line: Application – Junior Professional Fellow].
- Cover letter
- 1-3 page writing sample in English
- 1-3 page writing sample in another language, preferable in French, Spanish or other UN official languages
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably to be sent directly to UNU-ONY by e-mail at email@example.com [subject line: “Reference letter – candidate’s first and last name”]
- Scanned version of the complete form (signed and stamped) from your nominating institution. This form is applicable to candidates seeking internship as part of their current studies. This form can be downloaded below.
- If you are seeking this internship as part of your current studies, please submit this academic nomination form duly filled by your university http://www.ony.unu.edu/internships/nominating-institution-2008.doc