Asia Pacific Scholarship Consortium
PLEASE NOTE: For official information, specific details, and updated deadlines and instructions, please check the organization’s website and current application forms; if you have problems or questions, please contact us.
Deadline: Coming soon for next year
The Asia Pacific Scholarship Consortium is an informal network of universities in Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia and the Philippines that aims to facilitate scholarships in high quality postgraduate courses for individuals from Myanmar, Cambodia, Thailand and Lao PDR who require financial support to study. The Consortium was established in 2007.
To provide opportunities and scholarships for high quality, post-graduate study in fields relevant to the development of the Mekong Sub Region, for individuals who demonstrate both academic and professional excellence and potential to become leaders in the following fields:
- Community Health
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Policy, Law & Administration
- Social Work
Successful students will study at prestigious international universities in Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia or the Philippines. Scholars will undertake masters degrees by coursework. Courses typically take one to two years to complete. Scholars must complete the course within the specified time period on a full time basis.
PRE-ACADEMIC SUMMER SCHOOL
Successful applicants must attend a three week Pre-Academic Summer School in July 2013. The Pre-Academic Summer School is held in Chiang Mai, Thailand and will prepare students for graduate level academic writing. Participation is mandatory and costs associated with the Summer School will be covered by the program.
RESEARCH & INTERNSHIPS
Successful students will be eligible to apply for an APSC Research Grant to conduct master’s research in their home countries, under the guidance of a university advisor. Also, APSC graduates may apply for the APSC Internship Program. Interns will be placed in organizations and institutions within the Southeast Asia region for a period of 1-6 months, so as to further develop skills acquired during formal degree study.
APSC is a full scholarship program, so successful applicants will not be required to contribute any of their own money. The following costs will be fully covered at a basic level under the award:
- Academic tuition and mandatory fees for the duration of the course, including examination and thesis costs.
- A monthly stipend for room and board, and living expenses sufficient for a single student. There will be no support for students’ families.
- Basic medical insurance for the duration of study.
- Support for educational supplies and materials.
- Transport for the student to travel one time from their home to the campus and to return at the end of the program.
- All costs related to securing and maintaining a student visa for the duration of study.
- Professional development fund available to cover support for academic development such as computer, attendance of academic conferences or subscription to journals.
- Full support to attend the annual APSC Student Conference for one weekend each year.
- Research and internship funding will be available on a competitive basis.
- Hold an undergraduate degree at the time of application deadline with an excellent academic record;
- Be a citizen of and currently living in home country (Myanmar, Cambodia, Thailand or Lao PDR);
- Have experience working in at least one of the fields listed above in home country;
- Be proficient in English;
- Be committed to returning to home country after completion of the program to continue work and impart knowledge gained during studies.
Applicants must complete the application materials and submit them to APSC by the deadline (TBC). Hand-written or scanned copies of these documents are acceptable only if you have difficulties completing these documents electronically using Adobe Reader(version 7.0 or higher).
The application materials required for this program are as follows:
- APSC Scholarship Application Form (not yet available)
- One academic letter of reference sent directly by referee using the APSC 2014 Reference Form
- One professional letter of reference sent directly by referee using the APSC 2014 Reference Form
- Scanned copies of previous university-level educational transcripts (or explanation as to why these are unavailable).
- Scanned copy of your passport photo page (if available). Do not include scans of stamped visa pages.
- Scanned copies of one of the following:
- Any official English language exams you have taken, such as TOEFL or IELTS
- EPOP TOEFL Diagnostic Exam
SELECTION & UNIVERSITY APPLICATION PROCESS
Selection is based on academic and professional merit, professional aptitude, leadership potential, long-term commitment to the applicant’s home country, and English language ability. Semi-finalists will be tested for English proficiency and interview by a qualified committee. Successful candidates will be invited to apply for a specific APSC partner university based on their interests and positions available. The program will cover costs associated with the English test and interview.
In most cases APSC will assist successful applicants to apply to partner universities after they have been notified about winning APSC.
Masters courses will start between July and December depending on the prospective university. Support will be provided for all logistics related to travel and registration at the respective universities.
ENGLISH EXAMINATION PROCESS
APSC partners with the Exam Preparation Outreach Program (EPOP) to offer free, online diagnostic English examinations to applicants who do not already have a TOEFL or IELTS score. The EPOP test enables APSC to estimate how the student would score on a formal TOEFL test.
If you already have an English score and include it with your application, you do not need to take the EPOP exam. If you do not have a score already, you must register and complete the online diagnostic exam with EPOP before the November 15th Deadline.
To register for the diagnostic exam, please email email@example.com with the following information:
- Your full name (spelling must be consistent with your legal Identification information)
- Your email address
- The city where you currently live
- The country where you currently live
You will then be given instructions on how to complete the online diagnostic exam. If you are in a remote area with unreliable internet access and are concerned that you cannot take the exam, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
APSC understands that not all interested students have had a chance to take formal English exams, and hopes that this partnership with EPOP will enable many applicants to assess their English abilities.
TIMELINE FOR SELECTION PROCESS
The program is currently under review. New timetable will be advised when available.