Located in the heart of the fascinating city of Tokyo, The National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) is an international premier policy school with the aim of contributing to the betterment of democratic governance around the world. We excel at providing interdisciplinary education for future leaders in the public sector and conduct research on contemporary policy issues to generate innovative solutions.
Founded in 1997 as a stand-alone graduate institute, GRIPS is comprised of world-class academics and distinguished practitioners with expertise in public sector policy formulation and management. Around 20% of the faculty and 70% of students are recruited from outside Japan. Our vibrant, diverse student body consists of almost 400 members hailing from 63 countries and regions – all with the ambition to advance good governance across the globe or contribute to policy related research.
We offer a diverse array of Master’s and Doctoral Programs, from which students cultivate the ability to analyze issues and suggest solutions, develop interdisciplinary knowledge and skills that span related fields, and gain practical expertise. In addition to our degree programs, we also offer executive level short term training programs across a wide range of themes.
Since our inception, our achievements in promoting good governance are considerable and far-reaching. Today, our impressive Alumni network of over 4,000 strong are actively shaping policy in more than 100 countries around the world.
National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) online applications for 2021-2022 admission are now open.
- Mid-career public officials with strong leadership and managerial potential
- Individuals with strong academic capabilities and the desire to be professional policy analysts or pursue an academic career
Master’s Programs and Five-year Ph.D. Programs
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent
Three-year Ph.D. Programs
- A master’s degree or its equivalent
How to Apply
Application procedures differ by program. Some programs require that you apply directly to GRIPS whereas others require that you apply through a sponsoring organization.
Please see below for how to apply to each program.
- For details about each program, go to Degree Programs https://www.grips.ac.jp/en/education/index/ .
- For information concerning funding including scholarships, go to Fees & Tuition Expenses.https://www.grips.ac.jp/en/admissions/expenses/
- For deadlines, see Application Deadlines by Program. (Attached)
To apply for any of the following programs, download Online Application Guide 2021-2022 and follow the 3 steps listed below.
- One-year Master‘s Program of Public Policy (MP1)
- Two-year Master’s Program of Public Policy (MP2)
- Macroeconomic Policy Program (MEP) (One-year Program or Two year Program) for externally funded or self-financed applicants only)
- Public Finance Program (PF)
- Five-year Ph.D. Program (minimum 3 years)
- Policy Analysis Program (PA)
Three-year Ph.D. Programs
- GRIPS Global Governance Program (G-cube)
- Security and International Studies Program (SISP)
- Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Program (STI)
Online Application Guide
- Download Online Application Guide 2021-2022 and read it carefully.
Step 1: Online Entry Form
- Fill out and submit the Online Entry Form. The Admissions Office will send you an ID and a password by e-mail.
Step 2: Online Application Form
- Use your ID and password to access GRIPS’ portal, G-way. Complete and submit the Online Application Form.
Step 3: Supporting documents
- Send the required supporting documents to the Admissions Office by post.
Paper-based Application (directly to GRIPS)
- To apply for any of the following programs, download the application guide and form below
- Economics, Planning and Public Policy Program (EPP): (2021-2022 now open）
- Maritime Safety and Security Policy Program (MSP) for externally funded or self-financed international applicants only: （2021-2022 now open）
- Disaster Management Program – Ph.D. (DM): (2021-2022 now open)
For more information, please visit Official Website.