UWC has 18 schools and colleges on 4 continents, the majority of which focus exclusively on the 16-19-year-old age group. These colleges teach the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma as their formal curriculum, a qualification that UWC played a major part in developing, while also emphasizing the importance of experiential learning, community service and outdoor activities.
Six full and partial scholarships are offered to Myanmar students aged 16 to 18 years old for the academic year 2021 – 2023.
|UWC College||Country||Type of Scholarship||No. of student|
|UWC Changshu||China||Partially Funded (Needs-Based)||2|
|UWC ISAK Japan||Japan||Partially Funded (Needs-Based)||1|
|Li Po Chun UWC||Hong Kong||Full Scholarship||1|
|UWC Maastricht||The Netherland||Partially Funded (Needs-Based)||1|
|UWC South East Asia||Singapore||Up to Fully Funded (Needs-Based)||1|
What is UWC?
UWC (United World Colleges) is a global education movement that makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future.
Central to the ethos of UWC is the belief that education can bring together young people from all backgrounds on the basis of their shared humanity, to engage with the possibility of social change through courageous action, personal example and selfless leadership.
To achieve this, UWC schools and colleges all over the world deliver a challenging and transformational educational experience to a deliberately diverse group of young people, inspiring them to become agents of positive change in line with UWC’s core values:
- International and intercultural understanding
- Celebration of difference
- Personal responsibility and integrity
- Mutual responsibility and respect
- Compassion and service
- Respect for the environment
- A sense of idealism
- Personal challenge
- Action and personal example
UWC fosters a lifelong commitment to social responsibility and, to date, it has inspired a worldwide network of more than 60,000 alumni, who believe it is possible to take action and make a difference locally, nationally and internationally.
- Be Myanmar citizens
- Aged 16-18 (must not be older than 18 years by 01 September, 2021)
- Completed High School from Myanmar Education System or a total of 10 or 11 years of formal education from any established system or ethnic education system
- Qualification requirements
Have a valid personal e-mail address
- Well suited for UWC mission and values*
- Must have sufficient written and spoken English skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking abilities and academic potential
- Demonstrated a strong commitment to and involvement in their communities
- Have the potential to improve themselves and make an impact during and after their UWC education
Eligible and qualified applicants are invited to submit an online application form free of charge. The process is simple:
- Step 1: Go to https://forms.gle/NxgWXXu5YZoKDuEF9
- Step 2: Fill in all the details and then click on “Submit.”
- Step 3: Receive notification of application in your inbox if you enter a valid e-mail address. Please check spam/junk box if you don’t see the notification e-mail in your main inbox
This application is open from 14 December 2020 and will be closed on 31 January 2021. Applications received after this date will NOT be accepted.
- Selection criteria are based upon the quality of the application, including short essay responses.
- Shortlist candidates will be selected to sit the 1st round exam. Selection committee’s decision is final and irrevocable.
- Short-listed candidates will be notified via e-mail by 15 February 2021 with further information on exam date, exam subjects, and venue.
- Due to the large application volume, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Those who do not receive a notification of application decision by 15 February 2021 means they have not made it to the 1st round.
UWC Myanmar selections committee looks for the following attributions in students:
- Intellectual curiosity and motivation
- Active commitment
- Social competence
- Resilience, personal responsibility and integrity
- Motivation for UWC
- Ability to represent Myanmar to the international community
UWC Myanmar National Committee
C/O Thabyay Education Foundation
No. (9), Kan Road, Quarter 10, Hlaing Township, Yangon.