The Schwarzman Scholars application for the 2023-2024 academic year is now available.
Schwarzman Scholars is a fully-funded, one-year master’s degree and leadership program at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China. At the heart of the program are world-renowned advisers, a rigorous and innovative study of global affairs, and hands-on exploration of Chinese culture and commerce.
- In addition to demonstrating extraordinary leadership skills, the ability to anticipate and act on trends and changes in their context, strong intellectual capacity, and exemplary character, candidates must meet the following criteria.
Must have an undergraduate degree
- Applicants who are currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs must be on track to successfully complete all degree requirements before August 1 of their Schwarzman Scholars enrollment year. There are no requirements for a specific field of undergraduate study; all fields are welcome, but it is important for applicants, regardless of undergraduate major, to articulate how participating in Schwarzman Scholars will help develop their leadership potential within their field.
Must be 18-28 years of age
- Candidates must be at least 18 but not yet 29 years of age as of August 1 of their Schwarzman Scholars enrollment year (for the current selection cycle, as of August 1, 2022).
Must be proficient in the English language
- Applicants must demonstrate strong English skills, as all teaching will be conducted in English. If the applicant’s native language is not English, official English proficiency test scores must be submitted with the application. This requirement is waived for applicants who studied at an undergraduate institution where the primary language of instruction was English for at least two years of the applicant’s academic program. The requirement will also be waived for applicants who have studied in English for two or more years at a Master’s degree level or higher. Acceptable test options are:Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT). Minimum score 600. Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). Minimum score 100. International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Minimum score 7.
U.S. and Global Applicants
- Application Now Open
- Application Deadline: Sept 20, 2022
- Selection Cycle: Oct – Nov 2022
- Program Begins: Aug 2023
The Application Deadline is September 20, 2022 – 11:59PM, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). Late applications, even due to latency issues or last minute emergencies, will not be accepted.
How to apply
1. Online Application
- The application must be completed online and submitted electronically once you have answered all the required questions. The application form must be completed in English. You do not have to complete the online application in one sitting; you may access, save, and continue work on your application as frequently as needed before submitting the application.
2. Supporting Documents
- A current version of your resume or CV (maximum 2 pages).
Ø 2 Essays
- The two required essays are a Leadership Essay (750 words) and a Statement of Purpose (500 words). The essays are a critical component of the application, designed to help the selection committee understand you as an individual and get a sense of your leadership abilities/potential, as well as your writing and analytical skills.
Ø Transcript/ Academic Records
- Required to scan and upload official transcripts for each degree-granting post-secondary education institution you attended.
Ø 3 letters of recommendation
- Recommenders should know you well and be able to speak to your intellectual abilities, personal characteristics, and leadership potential using specific examples from their direct experience working with you.
Ø Video introduction
- Provide a short video self-introduction of no more than 1 minute. Introduce yourself in any style or setting you think best conveys your interests and personality. The point of this recording is to allow the committee to hear you introduce yourself in your own voice and style.
For more about the Schwarzman Scholars Program at Tsinghua University, please visit the official website.