The Skoll Scholarship is a competitive scholarship for incoming MBA students to Saïd Business School, University of Oxford, who pursue entrepreneurial solutions for urgent social and environmental challenges. The Scholarship covers the full course fees for the MBA programme, as well as partial living expenses of at least an additional £14,985.
The Skoll Scholarship provides funding for entrepreneurs who have set up or have been working in entrepreneurial initiatives with a social purpose or who have pursued an impact career, and who wish to improve their knowledge of market-oriented practices so they can be more effective in their subsequent social change pursuits.
In addition to financial support, the Scholarship provides access to the Skoll Scholar community, a group of leaders who are positively impacting the world through innovation and systems change, as well as exclusive opportunities to meet with world-renowned entrepreneurs, thought leaders, and investors.
The Scholarship is given in recognition that the MBA may represent a significant financial burden, particularly for those who have chosen to work in the social impact/innovation space rather than the purely commercial or public sectors.
- Entrepreneurial action
You have identified opportunities and taken action in order to make positive social impact
You have spent preferably at least 3 years driving change through entrepreneurial approaches. For example, you could have:
Started or grown a social venture
OR created and led the expansion of a social impact initiative within an organisation
OR been tackling a specific social/environmental issue, through a core thread that unites your work
- Creating Impact with a focus on systems change
You can demonstrate the outcomes and impact of your entrepreneurial action
Your impact addresses unjust systems and practises in your area of work
- Personal qualities of a social entrepreneur
You are a force for positive change
You are single-minded and persistent, with a willingness to fail and start again
You have bias toward action
You have a tendency to explore your environment for opportunities and resources
You have a willingness to take personal, and sometimes financial, risks
You develop networks and leverage members to pursue mutual goals
You have apprenticed with the problem* or experienced the problem you are trying to solve
- The Oxford MBA is critical to your career trajectory
You can demonstrate why business education is essential in helping to develop your work/impact at this stage
- Financial need
You are in a position where the cost of the programme is a significant financial burden
You can demonstrate the need for the Scholarship (for example, due to previous work experiences or personal circumstances)
To apply for the Skoll Scholarship follow these steps:
- Connect with us to register your interest in the Scholarship and make sure you’re kept up to date with announcements about upcoming deadlines.
- Apply for the Oxford MBA programme directly to Saïd Business School. You’ll need to do this during stages 1,2, or 3 of the MBA admissions process for the 2021-22 academic year. See details below on applying for an MBA admissions fee waiver.
- Upload your answers to the Skoll Scholarship essay questions as part of your MBA application, and submit your MBA application! You’ll find the Scholarship essay questions under the “Funding” section of the MBA application. We would advise that you allow yourself about 1-weeks’ time to answer the Skoll Scholarship essay questions.
- The MBA Admissions Team will then assess your application to ensure you meet the academic requirements sought by the Saïd Business School and determine if you are accepted onto the MBA programme or not.
- If you’ve received confirmation that you have been accepted onto the MBA programme, keep an eye on your emails as the Skoll Centre will send you a link to the second part of the Scholarship application, which is a Logistics and Reference Form. See timelines below to know when to expect this email.
- Complete the Logistics and Reference Form. This consists of a series of short questions about you, how you heard about the Scholarship, your references, etc. Please note, your referees will not be contacted unless you get to the final stages of the selection process
|Apply for the Oxford Saïd MBA during stages 1, 2 or 3 (including submitting your Skoll Scholarship essays)||Apply by 8 January 2021 (at the latest)|
|MBA final decision from Oxford Saïd||March 2021|
|Skoll Scholarship Logistics and Reference Form sent to accepted candidates||March 2021|
|Skoll Scholarship Logistics and Reference Form submission deadline||Early April 2021|
|First stage interviews (virtual)||End April/Early May 2021|
|Final stage interviews (virtual)||May 2021|
|Skoll Scholarship final decision||May 2021|
For more information, please visit Official Website.