The Asian Peacebuilders Scholarship (APS) is a shared initiative of The Nippon Foundation, the University for Peace (UPEACE), and Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU). The objective of the programme is to train young Asian professionals to become peacebuilding practitioners, ready to take up leading positions in organisations across the globe. In particular, the programme serves to strengthen the representation of Asian professionals with expertise in Asian issues.
The programme offers intensive, specialised language training to facilitate the participation of professionals with lower levels of English proficiency, thus allowing them to study in both Costa Rica and The Philippines. Scholars obtain a Master of Arts Degree from the University for Peace (UPEACE) in an area related to peacebuilding, and a Master’s Degree in Transdisciplinary Social Development from Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU).
The APS is an intensive academic study programme targeted towards young professionals from Asia. Academic study takes place in Costa Rica and The Philippines and is made up of the following elements: 1) intensive language learning component, 2) M.A. at UPEACE, 3) MTSDev at AdMU in Transdisciplinary Social Development, and 4) field project implementation.
This 18.5 – 21.5 month programme (depending on English proficiency), is scheduled to begin in March 2021 and is to be completed over six terms:
1. March-June 2021 (The Philippines), English Module 1: Intermediate English Training
Accepted applicants with an intermediate level of English-language proficiency will participate in this first module of English Training.
2. June-August 2021 (The Philippines), English Module 2: Advanced Academic English Training
Applicants with a high level of English-language proficiency will start the programme with English module 2, together with the students who successfully completed Module 1
3. June-August 2021 (The Philippines), Modular Coursework, 1st leg
The courses offer solid theoretical grounding, conceptual tools, and practical skills in understanding and taking direct action on the complex issues of equity, justice, and peace confronting the communities and peoples of, in, and from the Global South. Through intensive academic training on sociologically and anthropologically-informed social analysis, applied research, and engagements with professionals. Students will experience and learn the art and science of development work, formulating solutions and interventions, and conducting studies in international and local settings.
4. August 2021-May 2022 (Costa Rica), Specialized Coursework
Students will continue their studies in one of the Specialized M.A. programmes offered by UPEACE. Areas of study include Peace and Conflict Studies, International Law, and Environment and Development.
5. June-November 2022 (The Philippines)
- Modular Coursework, 2nd leg
- Field Project Implementation (principally in The Philippines)
- Modular Coursework, 3rd leg
6. Mid December 2022 (The Philippines), Graduation/Commencement
Click here to review the Academic Content of APS in detail (ENGLISH).
Click here to review the Academic Content of APS in detail (JAPANESE).
1. Have at least 2 years work experience in a relevant field. Excellent candidates with less work experience are considered for participation on a case-by-case basis. Voluntary work, internships and student activities may be considered as work experience, if relevant for the programme.
2. Have Bachelor’s degree from a reputable institution.
3. Demonstrate a compelling desire to work on issues related to peace and conflict.
4. Demonstrate a commitment to learning in an international and multi-cultural environment.
5. Are from countries where English is not widely spoken, particularly, but not limited to, Japan, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Indonesia, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, and the Philippines.
Required Supporting Documents to be Uploaded:
- English-language Proficiency Test Scores Report
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation (AdMU recommendation letter form).
- Official Undergraduate Transcript of Records (Transcript of records for Master’s/Ph.D./Doctoral degree/Study Abroad, if applicable)
- Certificate of Graduation (Diploma)
- Curriculum Vitae or Résumé
- Copy of Passport
- Passport-size photo
Please address any email inquiries to email@example.com.
For detailed admissions information, click here.
Application Deadline: 14 August 2020
For more information, please visit Official Website.