The Asia Pacific Leadership Program brings together diverse individuals who want to co-create a future that is peaceful, prosperous, and just. Through place-based learning that is experiential and transformational, APLP fellows practice leadership strategies that enhance personal, team, and community effectiveness. Fellows reflect on the kinds of leadership today’s world needs, and build the capacities needed for such leadership. The APLP Approach:
- Place-Based: Focuses on leadership in context and builds on communities’ diversity and abundance
- Experiential: Supports Fellows as they practice leadership together, reflect on results, and refine their strategies for greater impact
- Transformational: Fosters individual and collective growth for emerging and established leaders
For 20 years, we have been cultivating leaders who are motivated and capable of creating positive impacts in the Asia Pacific region and beyond. Incoming Fellows join a network of 650+ APLP alumni from 45 countries across the globe. For more information, please visit website and FAQ section.
2023 PROGRAM INFORMATION
Program runs: April 27-September 15, 2023
- Pre-residency Virtual Connection: April 27-June 21
- Residency in Hawai`i: June 22-August 18*
- Post-residency Virtual Connection: August 19-September 15
*includes a field study within the Hawaiian Islands
Program Costs (USD): $11,258
- Program Fee: $7,000
- Housing in East-West Center living quarters: $1,358
- Estimated living expenses in Hawaii: $2,900
- Note: program cost does not include airfare to/from Hawai`i and visa fees; supplementary scholarships are available to defray the cost of the program fee and housing. Scholarship support may be requested in the scholarship section of the application.
**The program is subject to postponement/cancellation due to prevailing and unforeseen circumstances.
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting peace and prosperity in the Asia Pacific region through professional work, study, or living experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher education institution in the United States, or equivalent degree representing a full-time program of study of at least 3 years’ duration, from an officially-recognized higher education institution outside of the United States.
- At least 5 years of work experience
- There are no citizenship, age, or ethnicity restrictions
- Applicants will be expected to have a fluent level of English. Applicants are encouraged to provide an English language test score (such as IELTS), if one is available.
- Leadership track record in professional, public, and/or personal realms
- Willingness to engage fully in place-based experiential, and transformational leadership development training
- Deep involvement in a specific organization, business or community impact initiative (applicants must explain how, with their home-based teams, they will experiment with the leadership strategies learned in APLP)
- International experience, including overseas residence, language skills, intercultural and diversity exposure
- Experience of cohort learning, working collaboratively in small teams or in large groups.
Applications must be submitted by November 1, 2022.
Letters of Reference will be accepted until November 6, 2022.
LETTER OF REFERENCE
Instructions with a link to the Letter of Reference form will be sent to your referee via email upon the submission of your application. Should your referee need assistance, please have them contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. The program WILL NOT accept a Letter of Reference directly from applicants. One letter of reference is needed to complete your application.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION & INSTRUCTIONS
Create a Submittable account today to see the full application and apply for the APLP! Please refer to application guidelines and specific requirements of the program before completing this form.
- Please complete the application in ENGLISH.
- Read the instructions for each item carefully before entering your information.
- Submittable does not log you out automatically when you exit your browser. Therefore, it is important that you sign out from your Submittable account, especially when you are using a public computer.
- Since you will not be able to edit your application, make sure to thoroughly review your application before submitting. If your application is not ready, you can save it as a draft and submit it at a later time. The saved drafts of your application can be found in your account under My Submissions (or Submissions).
- If after submission you need to change something in your application, contact the APLP staff either through Submittable or at APLP@EastWestCenter.org to request open editing access. Open editing access will only be granted for editing/changing major fields such as Referee information.
- Submittable email notifications can be filtered as junk/spam. Be sure to add Submittable to your list of approved senders.