Central South University was established in April 2000 by merging the former Hunan Medical University (HMU), the former Changsha Railway University (CRU) and the former Central South University of Technology (CSUT). The predecessor of CSUT was Central-South Institute of Mining and Metallurgy founded in 1952 and that of CRU was Central South College of Civil Engineering and Architecture founded in 1953; their main disciplines originate in Mining & Metallurgy and Civil Engineering, two disciplines of Hunan Industrial College established in 1903. The predecessor of HMU was Xiangya Medical College founded in 1914 as one of China’s earliest colleges offering western medicine courses.
Scholarship Types and Coverage
Full scholarship: coverage of tuition, on-campus accommodation, and medical insurance fees; monthly stipend of 2000 RMB for bachelor students, 2500 RMB for master students, and 3000 RMB for doctoral students.
Partial scholarship: coverage of tuition, on-campus accommodation and medical insurance fees
Program Duration and Catalogue
Bachelor: 4-5 years, see details in the 2020 Bachelor’s Programs in Central South University
Master: 3 years, see details in the 2020 Master’s Programs in Central South University
Doctorate: 4 years, see details in the 2020 Doctorate Programs in Central South University
- Excellent Non-Chinese citizens, with no criminal records and in good health.
- For Bachelor’s degree, applicants should have a high school degree or its equivalent and should be 18 to 30 years old; for Master’s degree, applicants should have a bachelor degree or its equivalent and should be 18 to 35 years old; for Doctor’s degree, applicants should have a master’s degree or its equivalent and should be 18 to 40 years old.
- Language eligibility: Students who apply for Chinese-taught programs should obtain a minimum score of 180 in HSK4 for non-medical programs and 220 for medical programs; Students who apply for English-taught programs, should obtain a minimum score of 6 in IELTS or 85 in TOFEL. Students who cannot meet the requirement of Chinese competence shall take a one-year preparatory course of the Chinese language and pass all relevant exams before embarking on their programs. Those who meet one of the following conditions are exempt from proving their linguistic competence:
- Applicants whose first language or the official language of the country is Chinese or English.
- Applicants who have taken a degree program whose teaching language is in Chinese or English.
- Applicants of postgraduate programs are required to have a strong academic background and innovative research capabilities.
- Some programs have their own admission requirement, and applicants shall be qualified before applying. For details, see the 2020 Program Catalogue.
From now on to June 15, 2020.All the hard copies of the application materials must be submitted to Admission Office of CSU before June 15, 2020.
Step 1: Online Application.
Log in CSU China International Student Service System and register online: http://application.csu.edu.cn/member/login.do. Choose Central South University Scholarship for International Students (CSU Scholarship) and fill in the application form, submit it and wait for the results (about 2-4 weeks).
Step 2: Pay the Application Fee and Mail Hard copies of Material
After passing the online review,pay the application fee of 500 RMB (90 dollar) to the designated account and prepare the following hard copies of materials IN DUPLICATE in the following order. Incomplete materials will not be accepted. (If you fail to pass the initial review or are rejected, NO NEED to pay the application fee and send the hard copies.)
- Printed Application form downloaded on CSU China International Student Service System with applicants’ name signed on it.
- Photocopy of the passport (Over one year availability)
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Check. Applicants should strictly be examined in accordance with the requirement of Foreigners Physical Examination Sheet. Incomplete form is regarded as invalid. The examination date shall be after January 1, 2020.
- Photocopy of Highest graduation certificate (or notarized photocopy). If the applicant is currently a student, the pre-graduation certificate issued by school is required.
- Transcript of the highest diploma (or notarized photocopy)
- Non-criminal record with an official stamp. The issue date shall be after January 1, 2020.
- Transcript of HSK4 for Chinese-taught programs and IELTS\TOEFL for English-taught programs, or other documents to prove your linguistic competence.
- The photocopy of a remittance bill for application fee RMB 500 or USD 90.
- Please write your application number, full name, and nationality on the bank bill. This application fee should be sent to the following account:
- Account Name: Central South University
- Account No:5846 5735 0276
- Swift Code: BKCH CNBJ 970
- Opening Bank: Central South University Branch Bank, Bank of China, Changsha, Hunan, P.R. China
- Personal statement that indicates the student does not have any other financial support from other institutions.
- Two different letters of recommendation from professors/ associate professors with detailed contacts (Issuance date shall be after January 1, 2020,only for masters and doctorate)
- Study Plan of no less than 800 words (clarify your research background, method, content and significance, etc, only for masters and doctorate)
- Acceptance letter from CSU professors (This is a MUST. Only for masters and doctorate)
- Published essays or any other supporting materials
Step 3: Final Review and Result Release
According to the hardcopies of material and the application situation, the students will be reviewed for final admission results, and the admission notice and visa application form will be sent according to the final admission results.
Application status will be informed in the CSU China International Student Service System. Please keep yourself informed by checking the Application System on time.
- The documents mentioned above shall be provided in English or Chinese. Documents in any other languages should be notarized in Chinese or English.
- If a Chinese citizen applies for admission as a foreign student after immigration, he or she must hold a valid foreign passport or nationality certificate for more than four years, and within the last four years (up to April 30 of the year of admission), he or she shall have a record of living abroad for more than two years (the actual residence for nine months in a year can be calculated as one year). The calculation is based on entry and exit stamps.
- Mail Addresses:
- Non-medical application materials shall be sent to the Main Campus (recipient: Office 212, International Cooperation and Exchange Office of Central South University; Address: Library 212, Main Campus of Central South University, 932 Lushan South Road, Changsha City, Hunan Province; Tel:+86-0731-88877515, 88836737)
- Medical programs application materials(clinical medicine, nursing, public health, biology, etc.) shall be sent to Xiangya New Campus (recipient:708 Office; address: Office 708, Xiaoqian Building, Xiangya Medical College, No. 172 Tongzipo Road, Yuelu District, Changsha City, Hunan Province; Tel:+86-0731-82650391).
- The application fees will not be refunded and materials will not be returned regardless of admission results, and the most prospective candidates will be enrolled according to the application materials.
According to relevant regulations, every May there is a comprehensive review of the scholarship holder’s academic and daily performance during the previous academic year to determine whether the holder is qualified for scholarship or as a student for the next academic year.
Admission Office, School of International Education, CSU
Address: Library 212, Main Campus of Central South University, 932 Lushan South Road, Changsha City, Hunan Province.
Tel:+86-0731-88877515, 88836737 (non-medical major consultation), 82650391(medical major consultation)
Websites: http://iecd.csu.edu.cn/lxzn.htm (Chinese)
For more information, please visit Official Website.