Key Dates for Non-local Applicants
|Event||Semester A 2023/24 Entry|
|Application Period Start Date||29 September 2022|
|Application Deadlines||Early Application Deadline: 15 November 2022|
Normal Application Deadline: 16 January 2023
|Review of Applications||International Applicants|
From November 2022 onwards, upon receipt of applications and the required supporting documentsMainland non-Gaokao Applicants
Usually after the application deadlines.For some qualifications, applications may be reviewed after the release of public examination results.
|Results of Application||December 2022 – June 2023|
|Application Period for Student Residence||Mid-April – 30 June 2023|
|Application for Student Visa||May – June 2023|
|Enrolment for International Students||Late August 2023|
|Semester Start Date||4 September 2023 (tentative)|
|Tuition Payment Deadline||Late August 2023 (tentative)|
Admission Arrangements for Bachelor’s Degree Programmes
(2023 Entry for Non-local Students)
English-language Requirements (for applicants holding non-local qualifications)
Applicants who obtained their entrance qualifications in a language other than English will need to have achieved an acceptable result in an approved English language test. The following qualifications are accepted as proof of English-language proficiency.
|TOEFL||Minimum total score of 79 in the Internet-based test (iBT at a test centre or at home)|
(Only accepts internet-based scores from a single test date, not MyBest scores.)
|IELTS||Overall band score of 6.5 or above|
|SAT||Minimum score of 590 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing in new SAT|
|ACT||Minimum score of 24 in both ACT English and ACT Reading (in one sitting)|
|GCE System||One of the followingGrade E or above in GCE AL/IAL or AS/IAS English Language, English Literature or English Language and LiteratureGrade C/Grade 4 or above in GCSE/GCEOL English/English Language or English LiteratureGrade C/Grade 4 or above in IGCSE First Language English, English Language or English LiteratureGrade B/Grade 5 or above in IGCSE English as a Second Language|
|Cambridge English Language Assessment||One of the followingGrade C or above in Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)Grade C or above in Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)|
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)||Overall score of 62 or above|
|Denmark||Studentereksamen: minimum Grade 7 (old grading scale: 9) in Level A/B English|
|Finland||One of the followingUpper secondary school certificate (lukion paastotodistus/gymnasiets avgansbetyg): minimum Grade 8 in EnglishMatriculation exam (ylioppilastutkinto/studentexamen): minimum Grade 4 (Cum Laude Approbatur) in English|
|Germany||Abitur: minimum Grade 10 in English|
|India||SSC/HSC/ISC Standard XII: minimum 70% in English|
|Malaysia||One of the followingSijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM): minimum Grade C in EnglishSijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysian (STPM): min. Grade C in EnglishUnified Examination Certificate (UEC): B4 or higher in English|
|Netherlands||Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO): minimum Grade 8 in English|
|Norway||Vitnemal: minimum Grade 4 in English|
|Singapore||One of the followingGrade C or above in H1 General Paper in Singapore-Cambridge GCE Advanced LevelGrade C6 or above in English Language in Singapore-Cambridge GCE Ordinary Level|
|Sweden||Slutbetyg/Examensbevis från Gymnasieskolan: minimum Grade C (old grading scale: VG) in English|
|Taiwan||General Scholastic Ability Test 大學學科能力測驗 (學測) or Advanced Subjects Test 指定科目考試(指考): English result within the top percentile (頂標)|
- Students with a recognised qualification may be admitted to the University with Advanced Standing I (non-senior year). Eligibility for advanced standing is linked to curriculum and graduation requirements. For details, please click here.
- Not all programmes accept advanced standing entry. Advanced standing programmes have a suffix “A” in the programme code (e.g. 1016A).
- In addition to the General Entrance Requirements, individual majors may require specific subject backgrounds.
- Entrance requirements are subject to ongoing review. The University reserves the right to amend the requirements from time to time.
Scholarships for International Students*
Entrance Scholarship Scheme
CityU has an Entrance Scholarship Scheme for international students with excellent academic performance who are admitted to full-time government-funded bachelor’s degree programmes.
The Scheme offers three kinds of scholarships
- Top Scholarships of HKD185,000 (approximately USD23,500), covering annual tuition fees, on-campus accommodation and living expenses
- Full Tuition Scholarships, covering annual tuition fees (approximately USD18,500)
- Half Tuition Scholarships, covering half of the annual tuition fees (approximately USD9,250).
Applicants do not have to apply for these scholarships. The appropriate level of scholarship is awarded based on merit. Beginning from the 2022-23 academic year, students who receive the scholarship are required to attain a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.4 or above each year throughout their period of study in order to renew the scholarship.
|Admissions Status||Duration of Studies||Amount per Annum||TOTAL Amount|
|1st Year Entry||4 years||HKD30,000(~USD3,850)||HKD120,000 (~USD15,400)|
|Advance Standing I||3 years||HKD90,000 (~USD11,550)|
- All non-local students admitted from underrepresented nationalities except Top Scholarship recipients will be eligible for the new grant.
- Awardees will be required to engage in a volunteer activity to enhance internationalization of CityU annually. The grant will be paid in installments and automatically renewed each year.
HKSAR Government Scholarship Fund
The Fund supports outstanding non-local students to pursue undergraduate studies in Hong Kong, with targeted scholarships made available to first-year full-time students from countries/regions along the Belt and Road, such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Myanmar. Learn more.
Outstanding Athletes Entrance Scholarship for Non-Local Students
CityU’s Student Development Services (SDS) is proud to offer the Student Athletes Admission Scheme (SAAS) to non-local students athletes. The aim of the scheme is to provide opportunities for outstanding student athletes to study in CityU. Since the introduction of the scheme in 1997, more than 1,200 students with high sports performance standards have been admitted to the university’s degree programmes.
Through the provisions of scholarships, we hope to attract high performing international athletes to CityU and further enhance the performance of our sports teams.
- Outstanding Athletes Entrance Scholarship for International / Continental Level (USD20,500 per annum)
- Outstanding Athletes Entrance Scholarship for Regional Level (HKD21,000 per annum)
For more details:
Application, instructions and contacts
Thanks to generous donations from many donors, CityU offers more than 120 scholarships, prizes, and other academic awards at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels to students who have demonstrated academic excellence.
Full list of scholarships and prizes
* Scholarships for 2023-24 may be subject to further updates