The campus of Tsinghua University is situated in northwest Beijing on the site of the former imperial gardens of the Qing Dynasty, and surrounded by a number of historical sites.
Tsinghua University was established in 1911, originally under the name “Tsinghua Xuetang”. The school was renamed “Tsinghua School” in 1912. The university section was founded in 1925. The name “National Tsinghua University” was adopted in 1928.
The faculty greatly valued the interaction between Chinese and Western cultures, the sciences and humanities, the ancient and modern. Tsinghua scholars Wang Guowei, Liang Qichao, Chen Yinque and Zhao Yuanren, renowned as the “Four Tutors” in the Institute of Chinese Classics, advocated this belief and had a profound impact on Tsinghua’s later development.
Admission to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua Univ. 2021（For International Students）
Tsinghua University (THU) offers Master’s and Doctoral degree programs to international students in 43 schools and departments (see Appendix for Catalog of Graduate Programs of 2021). Among them, 21 Master’s degree programs and 8 Doctoral degree programs are offered fully in English, while others are offered fully in Chinese or bilingually in Chinese and English.
Master’s degree programs are generally required to be completed in 2-3 years, and Doctoral degree programs in 3-4 years. For students with a Bachelor’s degree who move on directly to pursue a Doctoral degree program, the study period is normally 4-5 years.
Required Qualifications of Applicants
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.
- Master’s degree program applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent degree to a Bachelor’s degree (or above) in China. Doctoral degree program applicants should have a Master’s degree or an equivalent degree to a Master’s degree (or above) in China.
- 29 schools/departments can accept bachelor degree holders to pursue their doctoral degree programs directly. Please see the application requirements on ‘Application Instructions for Bachelor’s Degree Holders to Pursue Doctoral Degrees’
- Applicants should be in good health and of good character, be well-behaved and be willing to abide by China’s laws and regulations, as well as Tsinghua’s rules.
- Language competence requirements:
The applicant’s Chinese proficiency should meet the Chinese proficiency requirements announced by relevant schools/departments in the ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2021’.Click here.
The applicants’ English proficiency for the English program should meet the English proficiency requirements announced in the ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2021’ and the Admission Guide of the programs.
- Some programs have specific requirements for applicants’ academic performance, working years, etc. For relevant information, please refer to the remarks in the ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2021’ and the Admissions Guide of the programs.
Note: Please be sure to review any additional requirements that may be required by the target school/department.
- At present, Tsinghua University mainly provides the following scholarships for outstanding prospective full-time international graduate students.
- Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS): The Full CGS usually covers tuition, stipend, on-campus accommodation (or accommodation subsidy), and medical insurance. The Partial CGS includes one or a few items in the Full CGS. Annual Review is strictly required for all CGS holders.
- Tuition Scholarship: For example, the Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students, covers full or partial tuition fee with a duration of one academic year. Applicants may apply for Tuition Scholarships annually (competitive).
- For further information about scholarships, please refer to Scholarships for Prospective Full-time International Graduate Students at Tsinghua University.
How to Apply
- Applicants should complete an Online Application on this website during the designated THU application period. (Exceptions: applicants for Schwarzman Scholars and MBA programs, please apply on the specified websites). Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System, and pay the application fee online at the time of submission.
- Application Schedule (Beijing Time)
- 1st Round: 8:00 AM Oct 15, 2020——17:00 PM Dec 15, 2020
- 2nd Round : 8:00 AM Jan 1, 2021——17:00 PM Mar 1, 2021
For more information, please visit Official Website.