Shandong University is a comprehensive university in China with full-fledged academic disciplines. There are at present 12 general disciplines for undergraduates and postgraduates, namely philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, management, and fine arts. There are 44 first-level doctoral programs, 51 first-level master degree programs, 93 programs for undergraduates and 42 post-doctoral research programs, forming a complete system for cultivation of talent. 18 disciplines are ranked in the top 1% of ESI Global Ranking in terms of academic influence and contribution capacity. Moreover, inter-school partnership has been forged with more than 200 schools in over 30 countries and regions.
The growth of the university over the years has seen SDU rise to the forefront of many fields in China. In the 1930s and 1950s, when Shandong University was located in Qingdao, it was the home to many nationally famous scholars who paved the way for great success especially in the fields of literature and history. Up to this day, Shandong University is well-known for its strong liberal arts programs, and published the highly reputable academic journal Literature, History & Philosophy. These two periods also laid a good foundation for the university in natural sciences, enabling it to find itself among the noted institutions in China. In August 2015, SDU successfully held the 22nd International Congress of Historical Sciences, reputed as the “Olympics of Historiography”. This is the first time that the Congress was introduced to Asian, African and Latin American countries since its establishment. Another record high was also made in terms of its numbers of participating registered countries, historians from developing countries and young scholars.Since the merger at the end of the last century, the university’s newly-developed disciplines of financial mathematics, crystal materials, condensed matter physics, colloid and surface chemistry, micro-biology, machinery, material science, cardiovascular functional recovery, new drug manufacturing, and classical Chinese philosophy have all risen to the first-class level within the country, and some are even known abroad.
- Applicants must be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health.
- Degree and age requirements:
- Applicants must hold a high school diploma or an equivalent qualification and be under the age of 25 when applying for Bachelor programs;
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree or have an equivalent qualification and be under the age of 35 when applying for Master programs;
- Applicants must hold a Master’s degree or an equivalent qualification and be under the age of 40 when applying for Ph.D. programs.
- Applicants must have excellent academic records and strong scientific research skills.
- The applicant should not be receiving any other scholarship given by the Chinese government and Shandong University during the period he or she receives the CSC Scholarship.
- Language requirements: For programs taught in Chinese
- Applicants must have obtained 210 points or above in the HSK 4 test when applying for Bachelor programs;
- Applicants must have obtained 180 points or above in the HSK 5 test when applying for Master programs;
- Applicants must have obtained 180 points or above in the HSK 6 test when applying for Ph.D. programs.
- Language requirements: For programs taught in English
- Native English speakers (U.K., U.S., Canada, New-Zealand, Australia) are exempt from providing language certification.
- English speakers are required to submit results of IELTS (6.0 or above), TOEFL (80 points or above / TOEFL Mybest Scores are accepted, DI code for Shandong University: C296) or other equivalent certificates to prove English proficiency.
- English speakers who have obtained the highest degree in an institution where the language of instruction is English are not required to submit IELTS / TOEFL scores. Yet, an official proof of English as the language of instruction must be provided. (Note: Except for requirements of English proficiency, applicants who want to apply for a Master degree in clinical medicine taught in English must have obtained 180 points or above in the HSK 4 test.)
Scholarship Coverage, Supporting Category and Duration
- Scholarship Coverage
- Full scholarships include a tuition waiver, free accommodation, comprehensive medical insurance, and a monthly stipend;
- Partial scholarships consist out of one or several items mentioned on the full CSC Scholarships.
- Note: For detailed information, please refer to the following link: CSC Scholarships
- The Scholarship supports:
- Bachelor students (only for Chinese-taught programs),
- Master students (for both Chinese and English-taught programs),
- Ph.D. students (for both Chinese and English-taught programs).
- Duration: The duration of the scholarship is equal to the duration of the study. For scholarship students who have been accepted in a Chinese-taught program and are not able to meet the requirements on Chinese proficiency, a Chinese language (preparatory) study for one year is mandatory. After passing the final exam designed to test Chinese proficiency, the applicant is allowed to commence the degree study.
Application period: December 18, 2020 till March 31, 2021
Step 1: Applicants are asked to complete the online application on the Chinese Government Scholarship Information System (http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn) and print out the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarships. When filling in information online, please use the following information: Program Category, Type B; Agency No. of Shandong University, 10422.
Step 2: Log into SDU Online Application System for International Students (http://www.apply.sdu.edu.cn) to complete the application. The Application Form for Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship must be filled in in Chinese or English electronically. The application form should be signed by the applicant, scanned and then uploaded to the system. Paper applications sent by post will not be considered. For other requirements, please refer to the application instructions.
For more information, please visit Official Website.