July 1, 2022
Cetana is pleased to announce a scholarship that will provide up to $13,000 USD per year for a maximum of two years to a student studying for a master’s degree at a university in Thailand with the goal of becoming a teacher.
This scholarship honors Frederick and Bertha Dickason, who went to what was then called Burma in the 1930s and, except during World War II, served there as educational and medical missionaries until 1966, as well as their children, David Dickason, Jean Dickason, and Lois Dickason Young, and Lois’s husband, Jack Young, who founded the Cetana Educational Foundation in 1993. They founded the organization in response to an urgent need for educational opportunities for Myanmar youth. This scholarship continues the foundation’s mission to provide these opportunities to the young people of Myanmar.
NOTE: During this inaugural 2022 application cycle Cetana is looking for applicants who will have already started a masters program in Aug/Sept 2022 and are seeking support beginning in Jan/Feb 2023 (and consequently require a maximum of three semesters of support). The deadline is October 3. (Applicants seeking support for a program that will begin in Aug/Sept 2023 should apply during the 2023 cycle, which will open in November 2022.)
The eligibility requirements are:
- The applicant must be a Myanmar National.
- The applicant must have a bachelor’s degree and have proficiency in English.
- Study must be in Thailand and in a master’s program that will prepare the applicant to teach (preference will be given to English as a Second Language).
- Study must be full time and students must agree to complete the program within its normal duration or two years, whichever is less.
- Students must maintain full-time student status throughout the time of the grant and abide by all conditions of the grant, including the promise to return to Myanmar (or work withMyanmar communities) abroad for a minimum of three years after the degree is obtained.
- Applicants must independently apply to and be accepted by a university in Thailand.
For questions, please contact email@example.com.