Under the direct administration of Southwest University, International College is, on behalf of the university, responsible for international student admission and administration, Chinese language and BTCSOL, MTCSOL programs (programs of Bachelor/Master Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages) teaching. It was founded in 2008, co-working with Office of International Cooperation and Exchanges, and began to work on its own in April, 2013.
International College is composed of four sections: Administration Office, International Students Admission Office, Student Affairs Office and Department of Chinese Language Teaching. There are over 40 full-time and par-time teachers; half of them are professors/associate professors, and 70% of them have teaching or learning experience abroad.
International College is authorized by Confucius Institute Headquarters, China to enroll international students for one semester Chinese language learning, one academic year Chinese language learning, bachelor degree program of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other languages, master degree program of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other languages. Besides being responsible for educating Confucius Institute Scholarship students, International College is responsible for offering compulsory courses such as Surviving Chinese, Survey of China, and Chinese Culture to international students for degree study either in Chinese or in English from other faculties at Southwest University, optional courses such as Chinese Painting, Chinese Knitting, Chinese Handwriting, Chinese Dancing, Chinese Folk Music Appreciation, Chinese Martial Arts, open for all international students at Southwest University.
International College holds various activities each year, like International Culture Festival, Chinese Star Competition, Chinese Talent Competition, Mid-Autumn Festival, New Year Party, Songkran Festival etc., in hope of enriching international students’ life, providing them with achievement or talent show platform, foster their mutual exchanges and understanding.
Type B includes SWU’s University Postgraduate Program and Cooperative Program with Provinces and Autonomous Regions.
Please apply through the official application system of China Scholarship Council http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/ by choosing “Type B”, entering the agency number of 10635 to study in SWU.
- Postgraduate students and Doctoral students.
|Funding category||Study duration||Chinese tutoring (pre-major)||Scholarship grant period|
|Postgraduate student||2-3 academic years||1-2 academic years||2-5 school year|
|Doctoral student||4 academic years||1-2 academic years||3-6 school year|
Note: The instruction language is mainly Chinese. Applicants are required to take a one-year Chinese language course prior to the academic study if their Chinese is not qualified enough for the program study. Only by passing the examinations after the Chinese language course, can they start their academic studies.
- Scholarship applicants must
- be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health;
- for Type B, not be a student in any Chinese universities or schools at the time of application;
- not be sponsored by any other kind of scholarship;
- and be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for undergraduate programs, orbe a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master’s programs, or
- be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs, or
- be under the age of 45 and have completed at least two years of undergraduate study when applying for general scholar programs, or
- be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor (or above) under the age of 50 when applying for senior scholar programs.
- GPA and Language Requirement for Degree Programs
- GPA 3.0 and above out of 4.0, or 75 and above out of 100.
- Chinese-taught Programs require: HSK4 180 and above for undergraduate applicants, and HSK4 200 and above for Master’s Degree and doctoral applicants.
- English-taught Programs require: IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL iBT 80 and above for Master’s Degree applicants; IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL iBT 85 and above for doctoral applicants. We do not provide English-taught program on undergraduate level. Language requirements could be waived for applicants who come from English Speaking country.
Application & Recruitment Procedures
- Please refer to www.csc.edu.cn/laihua and www.gjxy.edu.cn for detailed introduction to the scholarship.
- Log on to the official website of China Scholarship Council (http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/register ), register for username and password before logging into the system. Please use Firefox or Internet Explorer (11.0). Menu selection functions may not work in other browsers. Please complete the application in Chinese or English.
- After logging into the system with your registered username and password, read the Online Application Guidance carefully and follow the steps. Please note: you should choose “Type B” to march the agency no. of SWU: 10635. Otherwise you will not be able to continue your online application.
- Click “NEXT” and fill in the other information (education background and employment record, language proficiency and proposed study in China, etc.) truly, correctly and completely following the steps listed on the left of the page. Attention: The applicants are required to select the disciplines before choosing your majors. The major you choose in the system may not be exactly the same with the one of Southwest University, which is subject to the actual admission notice. Any inquiry about the disciplines and majors please refer to the Disciplines Index, which could be downloaded from “Help”.
- Preview the application form after finishing it and then submit it online. You can withdraw your application to make changes, but make sure to submit it again. Otherwise, the retrieved application will become invalid and your new application will not be received either.
- SWU organizes an expert panel to appraise the documents and makes a proposed list of applicants, and then reports to Chongqing Municipal Education Committee and China Scholarship Council for final appraisal and approval.
- Getting the approval, SWU announces the result on http://gjxy.swu.edu.cn and informs the recipients via Email.
- SWU posts Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201) to the successful applicants directly around July 15.
- Type B winners of the scholarship, whose CSC number will include DFH/GXZ/SLJ/ZFY, shall pay the application fee 500 yuan at the notice of admission office via e-mail to the reception of International College or transmit it to the following bank account when register as a new student:
- Name of the account: Southwest University
- Name of the bank: Bank of China, Chongqing Beibei branch
- Bank account number: 0000 1102 0510 3057 (ignore 0000 if you are in China)
- Bank code: BKCHCNBJ59A
- Address of the bank: Beibei District, Chongqing, P. R. China
- Zip Code: 400700
Scholarship Coverage & Criteria
- Scholarship holders are exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, laboratory experiment fee, internship fee, fee for accommodation on campus, and are provided with Comprehensive Medical Insurance for International Students in China.
Note: Monthly living allowance is granted to the students through the host institution at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
- Master’s degree students: CNY 3,000 Yuan
- Doctoral degree students: CNY 3,500 Yuan
- Every April for Cooperative Program with Provinces and Autonomous Regions.
- Every June for the University Postgraduate Program.
(CSC will keep SWU informed of the exact date. Please pay close attention to the email address you filled in when applying.)
- International Students Admission Office, International College, Southwest University
- Tel: +86-23-68366002
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please visit Official Website.