The Ireland Fellows Programme enables early to mid-career professionals from eligible countries, with leadership potential, to benefit from a prestigious, world-class, quality education contributing to capacity building. It offers selected students the opportunity to undertake a fully funded one-year master’s level programme at a higher education institution (HEI) in Ireland. The award covers programme fees, flights, accommodation and living costs. Eligible master’s level programmes in Ireland commence in August or September each year and, depending on the programme, will run for between 10 and 16 months. The Ireland Fellows Programme promotes equal opportunity and welcomes diversity.
The aims of the Programme are to nurture future leaders; to develop in-country capacity to achieve national SDG goals; and to build positive relationships with Ireland.
On return home, graduates are expected to bring their acquired skills to contribute to capacity building in their home countries. It is also envisaged that they will contribute to building enduring positive personal and professional relationships with Ireland, promoting institutional linkages.
The Ireland Fellows Programme is fully funded by the Irish Government and is offered under the auspices of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA). It aligns with the Irish Government’s commitment under Global Ireland and the national implementation plan for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Ireland’s Policy for International Development, and Ireland’s International Education Strategy. The programme is managed by the relevant Embassy responsible for eligible countries. Programme implementation in Ireland is supported by the Irish Council for International Students (ICOS).
Studying at postgraduate level in Ireland offers a unique opportunity to join programmes that are driving innovation and changing lives worldwide. Applicants can choose from almost 200 postgraduate programmes specially selected to enhance capacity in line with stated country development goals and the strategy of the Irish Embassy. The range of courses includes development studies, gender studies, climate related rural development, health care, education and strategic management.
To be eligible for an Ireland Fellows Programme – Asia fellowship award commencing at the beginning of the academic year 2021, applicants must:
- Be a resident national of one of the countries listed below:
Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam
- Have a minimum of three years’ work experience that is directly relevant to your proposed programme(s) of study (this can include internships) for candidates from Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam.
- Hold a bachelor’s level academic qualification from an accredited and government-recognised higher education institution, with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 scale) – i.e. a first class honour, or second class honour, Grade 1 (in some cases a second class honour Grade 2 may be accepted, if the applicant has sufficient directly relevant work experience). It must have been awarded by 2009 or later (i.e. within the last 12 years).
- Not already hold a qualification, have started a programme, or be due to start a programme in the academic year 2020/21, at master’s level or higher.
- Be applying to commence a new programme at master’s level in Ireland no sooner than August 2021.
- Be able to demonstrate leadership abilities and aspirations, as well as commitment to the achievement of the SDGs within your own country.
- Have identified and selected three relevant programmes from the Directory of Eligible Programmes.
- Have a clear understanding of the academic and English language proficiencies required for all programmes chosen.
- Must not have applied to the Ireland Fellows Programme on more than one previous occasion.
- Be in a position to take up the Fellowship in the academic year 2021/2022.
Please read the Applicants Guidance Note carefully before completing as eligibility criteria may differ from country to country.
The application process consists of three stages:
- Stage 1 Preliminary Application;
- Stage 2 Detailed Application;
- Stage 3 Interviews.
Application Deadline: September 13, 2020.
For more information, please visit Official Website.