National Sun Yat-sen University was located in northern Taiwan, and there was not a single national university in the Kaohsiung-Pingtung area of southern Taiwan. To balance the development of education between the north and the south, the government decided to establish a comprehensive university in the south and named it “National Sun Yat-sen University” in honor of Dr. Sun Yat-sen, the founder of the Republic of China. Enrollment began in the fall of 1980. To further commemorate Dr. Sun Yat-sen’s achievements, the Ministry of Education granted the request to date Dr. Sun Yat-sen’s birthday of November 12th as the anniversary of the University.
NSYSU is comprised of seven colleges: Liberal Arts, Science, Engineering, Management, Marine Sciences, Social Sciences, and Si-Wan.
List of Programs
- College of Liberal Arts: https://oia.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1308-20671.php?Lang=en
- College of Science: https://oia.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1308-20672.php?Lang=en
- College of Engineering: https://oia.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1308-20673.php?Lang=en
- College of Management: https://oia.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1308-20674.php?Lang=en
- College of Marine Sciences: https://oia.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1308-20675.php?Lang=en
- College of Social Sciences: https://oia.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1308-20676.php?Lang=en
- Applicants may apply for the “NSYSU Scholarship” when applying for admission. For more details, please visit the website https://oia.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1308-20732.php?Lang=en.
- Application submission period: January 15th – March 31st 2021.
- Admission announcement: Before June 15th 2021.
- Semester begins in mid-September 2021 for all admitted applicants.
How to Apply
- Application form can ONLY be completed online. Please visit https://admission.nsysu.edu.tw/eoiaform/passportMember/login
- Please complete the application procedure online, upload all required documents and press “Submit.” Only applications completed and received before the application due date can be accepted.
- Each applicant may apply for two undergraduate/graduate programs at most and one group within each undergraduate/graduate program at most; when applying for two undergraduate/graduate programs, please submit required documents individually for each program. Applicants accepted for both programs can only choose to enroll in one program.
- No documents submitted with the application will be returned regardless of the applicant’s admission status. Please keep personal copies for future reference.
Applicants must upload the following documents to the online application system before the application due date.
- Certificate of highest-level diploma and transcript:
- One photocopy of diploma in Chinese or English issued by the institution.
- For undergraduate programs, please provide a high school diploma; for master’s programs, please provide a bachelor’s degree diploma; for doctoral programs, please provide a master’s degree diploma.
- If you are currently studying at an institution, please submit proof of enrollment with the institution’s anticipated graduation time.
- For Taiwanese university graduates, please submit the diploma in CHINESE.
- One photocopy of the transcript in Chinese or English issued by the institution.
- Applicants for Ph.D. programs should provide both bachelor’s and master’s transcripts.
- One photocopy of financial statement in Chinese or English.
- All applicants must provide a financial statement within 3 months of the application time frame of at least USD 4,000 or NTD 120,000.
- Full scholarship recipients can provide their scholarship certificate instead (scholarship application form not accepted).
- If the financial statement is not in the applicant’s name, a declaration with a sponsor’s signature must be included, stating the relationship with the applicant and guaranteeing responsibility for all of applicant’s expenses in Taiwan.
- A photocopy of a Certificate of Citizenship: i.e., passport, residence certificate or birth certificate.
- Certificate of Citizenship Renouncement of Republic of China (if applicable): Required for applicants who once held citizenship of the Republic of China. Applicants must have renounced their citizenship for at least 8 years (from the date of the certificate to the first day of the Fall Semester, August 1st, 2021. For the Spring Semester, it should be February 1st, 2022).
- Other materials required for the NSYSU Scholarship for International Students (if applicable): Please refer to https://oia.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1308-20732.php?Lang=en for more details.
- Other materials required by specific undergraduate/graduate programs (if applicable.
- OIA does not accept any documents submitted in hard copy form (except recommendation letters). Please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org if any uploading problems occur.
- The above documents (1) – (4) need to be uploaded successfully and accepted after review to be passed to the departments/institutes for final assessment.
For more information, please visit Official Website.