Yale Young Global Scholars is an unparalleled academic and leadership program at Yale University, founded on the tenets of liberal arts, renowned for its diverse and inclusive community, and committed to increasing education access.
Yale Young Global Scholars empowers the next generation of leaders by building a global community and designing interdisciplinary programs that foster intellectual curiosity, deepen understanding and inspire creative action across all borders.
Yale Young Global Scholars emphasizes an open, exploratory, and collaborative approach to learning. Our program is designed to allow students to experience learning in a variety of different university contexts, from large lectures to small seminars, and even the spontaneous learning that happens in dining halls and around campus.
- With no grades or course credit, YYGS encourages students to approach all aspects of the program creatively with the understanding that they set their own limits. Students receive an electronic certificate of completion at the end of the session.
- The diverse and inclusive community at YYGS enhances learning by inviting students to analyze issues from multiple perspectives. Living and learning alongside peers from around the world allows students to broaden their own world views by learning about countries and cultures they have never encountered before.
- Exploring Yale: participants live on campus, explore surrounding areas and take advantage of opportunities that the Yale community offers.
How to Apply
|Step 1||Review the YYGS eligibility criteria.|
|Step 2||Review the YYGS application required components.|
|Step 3||Review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.|
|Step 4||You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.|
YYAS & YYGS Application
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is a sister program to YYGS, and is designed for secondary students on the African continent. If you are interested in applying for both YYAS and YYGS, please take the following steps:
1) Submit the application for the program that you are most interested in (YYGS application or YYAS application*).
2) If you apply to YYGS,at the end of the application there is a section for you to indicate your interest in applying to the YYAS Program, too.
If you apply to YYAS, at the beginning of the application there is a section for you to indicate your interest in applying to the YYGS Program, too.
3) That’s it! By indicating your secondary interest, you will automatically be considered for both programs. After YYGS and YYAS applications are thoroughly reviewed, applicants will receive one offer of admission to either YYAS or YYGS.
Thanks to generous donors, YYGS is able to offer a limited number of Scholarships, which are Need-Based Financial Aid packages that cover full-tuition ($6,500 USD) and travel costs.
Please note that the majority of students who apply for need-based financial aid receive significant tuition discounts and then fundraise to cover travel expenses, as only a limited number of scholarships are available each year. Learn more by viewing our free Financial Aid webinar(link is external) online.
In order to be considered for one of these scholarships (below), you MUST have completed the entire online YYGS Application, including the Need-Based Financial Aid portion, by January 12, 2021.
As part of reviewing your financial aid request, YYGS staff will automatically review whether or not you meet any of our 2021 scholarships’ eligibility requirements, and contact you when decisions are released by mid-March (learn more about Early Action deadlines).
For more information, please visit Official Website.