The virtual workshop will connect 35 participants from across ASEAN and Timor-Leste to build theoretical and practical knowledge about aquatic issues and sustainable economic development of ocean and river resources; expose participants to examples of viable business models for sustainable water resource, aquaculture and fisheries management, particularly socially-responsible SMEs; develop leadership skills; and challenge participants to develop innovative models for simple, cost-effective initiatives that they may implement in their own communities; and strengthen the transnational network of young leaders across Southeast Asia.
The virtual workshop will include a series of online skills-building sessions; activities; speakers; collaborative group projects; virtual tours of inland aquaculture, river and ocean jobs projects and ecotourism initiatives; as well as mentoring and networking opportunities with leaders from the region and the United States. The schedule will include four hours of commitment each day during the week through a combination of interactive and self-directed work, and six hours of commitment on the weekend of the program.
- YSEALI Member (Not a member yet? Join YSEALI!)
- Ages between 23 – 35 (at the time of application for the workshop)
- Citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam
- Currently residing in one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam
- Have at least 6 months of work experience or volunteer experience
- Have interest and some experience in marine science, ecotourism, entrepreneurship, natural resource management, community engagement, traditional resource use or other relevant fields.
- Passionate about building communities and have a keen interest in building a network through collaboration and partnership with other Southeast Asian countries
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Will commit to a minimum of 36 hours of virtual/online sessions from the workshop agenda from June 7 to June 14, including weekend sessions on Saturday and Sunday
The 2021 YSEALI Ocean Jobs for Sustainable Futures Workshop is for students, entrepreneurs, and young professionals ages 23-35 from across ASEAN.
Supported by the U.S. Embassy in Dili, Timor-Leste, and organized by The Asia Foundation, it will be held June 7 to June 14, 2021. The Workshop will be hosted in-person in Timor-Leste and virtually across ASEAN.
Applications open March 5 – April 5, 2021.
For more information, please visit Official Website.