Sun Yat-sen University, founded in 1924 by the Chinese democratic revolutionary Dr. Sun Yat-sen, with an educational tradition spanning over 100 years, is a preeminent academic and cultural center and premier location for talent development. Under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, and strongly supported by both the Ministry and Guangdong Province, Sun Yat-sen University has developed into a modern comprehensive university that enjoys a reputation as a top-tier university nationally and a renowned university internationally. Its campuses are located in the modern metropolis of Guangzhou, formerly known as Canton, the picturesque coastal city of Zhuhai, and Shenzhen, a hub for innovation and technology.With five campuses in the three cities of Guangzhou, Zhuhai and Shenzhen and ten affiliated hospitals, SYSU enjoys a firmly established reputation as a top-ten university nationally and a burgeoning international profile.
Built on a solid multidisciplinary foundation of humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, medical sciences, and engineering, Sun Yat-sen University is propelled forward by the continuous pursuit of academic innovation. The University is equipped with a globally aware outlook, and has dedicated itself to being an institution that is “comprehensive, innovative, and open”. The University adheres to the socialist orientation of higher education, focusing on the fundamental task of nurturing virtue and talents. The goal of talent cultivation is to nurture students who have both ability and moral integrity, able to cultivate charisma and eager to serve their country. The basic guiding philosophy is to be oriented toward academic frontiers, oriented toward national major strategic needs, and oriented toward national and regional economic and social development. The coordinated development of five campuses in the three cities of Guangzhou, Zhuhai and Shenzhen will jointly support the development of the entire University. The University is pushing forward the transformation from external development to internal development, the transformation from routine development to active development, and the transformation from a university with discrete advantages in humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and medical sciences to a university where humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, medical sciences and engineering can integrate and develop while retaining their distinctive characteristics. Now, standing at a new starting point, Sun Yat-sen University strives to enter both the national first-tier of universities and the ranks of world-class elite universities, building a first-class socialist university with Chinese characteristics.
- Applicants should be excellent high school graduates recommended by designated institutions in the 10 ASEAN countries, which include Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- 15 quotas per country in principle, 150 in total. The number can be adjusted according to the source of students in different countries on the basis of competitive selection.
- Applicants should be non-Chinese with a valid foreign passport, and meet the requirements stipulated in the Notice on the Regulations of Chinese Universities’ Acceptance of International Students ( No.12).
- Applicants should be in good health and meet the physical standards that are required for applying for a student visa or residence permit.
- Applicants should be high school graduates or above.
- Applicants should be friendly to China, hardworking and diligent in their studies with excellent academic performance, upstanding and law-abiding, without any records of violations of the rules and regulations of their school, or any other security penalties or criminal records.
- Applicants should meet the recommendation standards set by SYSU in their home countries, and be officially recommended by the designated institution (see the attachment for further information).
- Language proficiency
- Applicants should hold an HSK (Level Ⅴ) certificate (with 180 points or above). Those who apply for a bachelor’s degree in Chinese Language should obtain an HSK (Level Ⅳ) certificate (with 180 points or above). Applicants who have completed their last degree with Chinese as the language of instruction should submit certificates of Chinese language proficiency issued by their former school and can be exempted from providing HSK certificates after SYSU’s verification.
- Outstanding applicants who have an HSK (Level Ⅲ) certificate (with 180 points or above) can also apply for this program. After pre-admission, they should study Chinese by themselves. Upon the satisfaction of the language requirements (HSK 5 with 180 points or above, except that HSK 4 with 180 points or above for Chinese Language), applicants can obtain the formal admission letter and the Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China, and move on to their undergraduate studies. The pre-admission qualification will be cancelled if the applicant fails to meet the deadline. In principle, the total number of applicants of this category should be limited within 30.
- Applicants under the age of 18 before September 1st, 2021 must provide a guardian’s guarantee.
Application Deadline: April 30th, 2021
Applicants are required to visit SYSU Office of International Students’ Affairs (http://iso.sysu.edu.cn) for online application. Please choose “APPLY ONLINE” accordingly, fill in relevant information correctly and completely, and upload the application materials as below.
- Valid passport (Applicants staying in China’s mainland at the time of application should submit the visa page/residence permit page, and the scanned copy of entry page additionally)
- High school diploma (Those who are about to graduate should provide a certificate proving the expected time for graduation issued by their school)
- A recommendation letter from one designated institution and two recommendation letters by the principal and one faculty member of the school respectively
- Results of international standard tests in high school and academic transcripts from the highest level of education
- Language proficiency certificate
- Physical examination report
- Personal statement
- Commitment letter
- Nationality certificate of applicants and their parents
- Other supporting documents (Award certificates or experience certificates).
Note: All the application materials should be in their original copy in Chinese/English. If the original copy of the following materials is written in non-Chinese/English, a notarized copy in Chinese/English is required.
Majors and Divisions for International Students and Degree Awarding
- Please refer to attachment for the divisions and majors for the “Belt and Road” Scholarship Program for International Students (Bachelor’s Degree) in 2021. Admitted students who select a general major will choose a specific direction or field as their final major according to the professional education and training program of their school/department.
- Please visit http://www.sysu.edu.cn for further information about divisions for international students.
- Admitted students, with the formal student status of SYSU, who have completed the courses and received the required credits within the prescribed period of study and met the requirements for graduation shall be granted a graduation certificate of SYSU. Those who meet the requirements for degree awarding should be awarded the bachelor’s degree of SYSU and granted the degree certificate.
- Scholarship amount
- Scholarship recipients are exempted from the tuition fee. Each academic year, SYSU will provide the living allowance of 30,000 yuan/person. No scholarship will be provided for the period of Chinese self-learning. Living allowance will be paid to the student’s personal bank account every month. Students will pay the accommodation fee, insurance fee, visa fee, air ticket, physical examination fee, etc. by themselves.
- Duration of scholarship
- In principle, the scholarship covers the four-year undergraduate program.
- Scholarship recipients are required to participate in the annual review. If they pass the review, they will continue to enjoy the scholarship for the next academic year; otherwise, the scholarship will be suspended or cancelled.
- SYSU encourages excellent students to further their studies. Undergraduate students who apply for a master’s degree in SYSU will have the opportunity to obtain various scholarships.
- Qualification Approval
- The applicant’s citizenship, highest level of education, recommendations, academic records, language proficiency and other supporting documents will be reviewed to determine the assessment list.
- SYSU will issue an assessment notice after the deadline of application, and the applicant who passes the examination must attend the interview according to the requirements of the notice. The specific interview time and method will be informed by email.
- Admission policy
- Admission decisions will be based on the applicant’ qualification approval and interview results.
- SYSU will release the results of the pre-admission through the online application system. The Admission Letter and the Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China will be sent out from July to August according to the mailing address provided by the applicants in the online application system.
- Admitted applicants should apply for an X1 visa from the Chinese Embassy or Chinese Consulate with their Admission Letter and the Visa Application Form for Studying in China and change the X1 visa into a residence permit for foreign students within 30 days after entering China. Otherwise, they will face expulsion. Applicants with a non-study visa are not allowed to register. Those with an expired visa or residence certificate will not be allowed to live on campus or carry out any activity.
- SYSU will select outstanding students from the freshmen and recommend them for the Chinese Government Scholarship, the Silk Road Scholarship Program, Guangdong Government Outstanding International Students Scholarship, etc. Specific application methods will be notified separately.
For more information, please visit Official Website.