Chinese Government Scholarship—Chinese University Program is a full scholarship for designated Chinese universities and certain provincial education offices in specific provinces or autonomous regions to recruit outstanding international students for graduate studies in China. It only supports graduate students.
Supporting Categories, Duration and Instruction Language
1. Supporting Category. This scholarship only supports graduate students.
2. Duration. This scholarship only supports master’s students for no more than 2 academic years or doctoral students for no more than 3 academic years. The scholarship covers both major study and Chinese language/preparatory study, as specified in the Admission Letter.
3. Instruction Language
- Scholarship students can register for either Chinese-taught program or English-taught program if applicable. (Program Search can help you find the program and university you’re interested in by visiting http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or http://www.campuschina.org/).
- All applicants are requested to provide their language proficiency certificates for the scholarship applications. Applicants for Chinese-taught programs must provide a valid Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) certificate. Undergraduate or non-degree (general scholar & senior scholar) candidates should have achieved HSK Level III or above; Postgraduate candidates should have achieved HSK Level IV or above. Applicants for English-taught programs should provide valid English Proficiency Test (IELTS or TOFEL) certificates.
1. Tuition fees
2. Free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy
Ø Undergraduates: CNY 2,500 per month;
Ø Master’s students/general scholars: CNY 3,000 per month;
Ø Doctoral students/senior scholars: CNY 3,500 per month.
4. Comprehensive medical insurance: CNY 800 per person per year;
Where and When to Apply
- Apply to UESTC directly.
- You should apply to UESTC between January 1st to March 31st.
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health. be an academically excellent holder of a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent under the age of 35 when applying for a Master’s program;
- be an academically excellent holder of a Master’s degree or its equivalent under the age of 40 when applying for a doctoral program.
- meet the admission requirements of the university of preference in terms of language proficiency and academic ability, among others, when applying for a program taught in a language other than Chinese.
Specialty/Major Relations between UESTC and CSC System
Note: In UESTC Education & Application System, the Specialties/Majors of PhD & Master are different from the CSC system. The specialties shown in the CSC system are more like the research field in UESTC specialty/major system.
- While applying in the UESTC Application System, please select the corresponding specialty/major instead, try to find the close research field before you make application.
- The Specialty/Major shown on the UESTC Admission Letter and Graduation Certificate will be the one in the UESTC system.
Step 1. Complete the online application procedure at CSC Online Application System for International Students , and download the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship after completing the application. The agency number of UESTC is 10614.
Step 2. Apply directly in the UESTC Online Application System
Step 3. Submit all your application documents (including the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship) in the UESTC Online Application System before the deadline. (No need for hard copies)
- You can check Application Documents for a detailed checklist.
Step 4. UESTC Academic Committee will review applicants’ eligibility and academic performance submit the recommended candidates list and their application documents.
Step 5. The CSC will organize designated universities and experts concerned to examine applicants’ eligibility and academic performance before finalizing the short-list candidates
Step 6. The CSC will notify the admission results to UESTC that will subsequently have the applicant informed.
1. CSC Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (in Chinese or English, downloaded after applying in the CSC Website). UESTC Agency No. is 10614
2. Copy of Passport Information Page: An applicant shall submit a clear scanned copy of the information page of his/her passport that will not expire on or before March 1, 2023. Renew the passport if the requirement is not met. An applicant who fails to apply for a passport due to objective reasons may submit valid documentation or documentary evidence that carries information about the full English name, sex, nationality and date of birth of the applicant upon the approval of the application receiving agency.
3. Diploma and certificate of highest education (notarized photocopy).
- An applicant who is a current university student shall submit the certificate of expected graduation or student status issued by his/her university;
Ø For master applicants, please provide bachelor diploma, for Ph.D applicants, please provide both bachelor and master diplomas.
Ø Prospective diploma winners must submit official document issued by your current school to prove your current student status or expected graduation date.
Ø Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
4. Academic transcripts (written in Chinese or English);
- Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
5. A Study Plan or Research Proposal (written in Chinese or English);
- This should be a minimum of 800 words for postgraduate program applicants
6. Two Recommendation Letters (written in Chinese or English);
- Applicants for undergraduate program and postgraduate program must submit two recommendation letters signed by professors or associate professors.
7. Applicants under the age of 18 must submit relevant documents about their statutory guardians in China.
8. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (photocopy);
- The original copy should be kept by the applicant. The form is designed by the Chinese quarantine authority and can be obtained from the dispatching authority. The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
9. Non-criminal record report. The applicant shall submit a valid certificate of Non-Criminal Record issued by the local public security authority, usually issued within 6 months prior to the submission date of the application.
Please submit the following documents if applicable
10. Language qualification certificate. e.g., HSK certificates, IELTS or TOFEL report.
Please note: Pre-admission Letter from Chinese Government Scholarship universities is not necessary for the Category B-Chinese University Program in UESTC, it’s only available for Category A-Bilateral Program.
- All uploaded supporting documents must be clear, authentic and valid. Applicants are recommended to use professional device to scan the relevant documents. Applicants shall bear the consequences caused by unclear or unidentifiable uploaded materials.
- You should submit your documents in the online application system before the deadline.
- If you’ve applied online successfully, there’s no need to post hard copies to UESTC. No application documents will be returned.
Contact Information of CSC
Address: Division of International Students Affairs, China Scholarship Council
Level 13, Building A3, No.9 Chegongzhuang Avenue, Beijing, P.R.China
Tel: 0086-10-66093970 0086-10-66093978
Contact Information of School of International Education, UESTC
Address: A2-105, Main Building, No.2006, Xiyuan Ave, West Hi-Tech Zone, 611731, Chengdu, Sichuan, P.R.China
Contact: Ms.Lin Min; Mr. Dong Liang (Filippo)
Tel: 0086-28-61831638; 0086-28-61831730
Admission Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UESTC Online Application Website: http://admission.uestc.edu.cn/
Alternative website for Online Application: https://uestc.17gz.org