The EWC Graduate Degree Fellowship (GDF) provides master’s and doctoral funding for graduate students from Asia, the Pacific, and the United States to participate in educational, cultural, and residential community building, and leadership development programs at the EWC while pursuing graduate study at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM).
Individuals who are citizens or permanent residents of the countries listed below may apply for the East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowship:
- United States
- Pacific Region: American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Northern Marianas, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis & Futuna Islands
- Southeast Asia: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam
- South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Iran, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- East Asia: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Russia, Taiwan
Bachelor’s Degree and Grade Point Average
Before the start of the award, applicants for graduate programs must have obtained a 4-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited U.S. college or university, or from a recognized institution of higher learning abroad. Generally, an applicant must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (4.0=A scale) or the equivalent, in the last four semesters or six quarters of the undergraduate record and in all post-baccalaureate work.
How to apply
East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowships support graduate study at the University of Hawai‘i (UH) in fields relevant to the goals and objectives of the East-West Center (EWC).
Fellowships are awarded annually in an international competition. Applications for the academic year 2022-2023 competition will be accessible from August 16, 2021 through December 1.
* To ensure timely processing of your EWC application, supporting documents for both your UH admissions office and department applications must be completed by January 10, regardless of whether the UH departmental deadline falls after that date.
Application Forms and Instructions
To access the application documents, click below:
- Application Handbook (interactive website)
- Application Checklist (pdf)
- Diagram of the ApplicationProcess for EWC and UH (jpg)
- Academic Letter of Reference Form & Instructions (Attached)
- Civic Engagement Letter of Reference Form & Instructions (Attached)
*If you are unable to access these application materials, email scholarships@eastwestcenter.