Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) is a world-renowned higher education institution and one of the top universities in China. It has established itself as a comprehensive, research-oriented, and internationalized university and ranks 47th worldwide (QS 2021). The university now has 31 schools, 31 research institutions and 13 affiliated hospitals, offering a wide range of degree programs.
Each year SJTU admits students from nearly 100 countries, and more than 7000 international students are studying on campus. Its 31 colleges and schools offer more than 100 graduate programs to international students. The study duration for master’s programs is usually 2-3 years (full-time), and 4 years (full-time) for doctoral programs.
The following are general requirements for application to SJTU International Graduate Programs.
- Non-Chinese citizen.
- Good health both physically and mentally.
- Outstanding academic performance and potential.
- Bachelor’s degree for master program applicants. Master’s degree for doctoral program applicants.
- Proficiency in Chinese and/or English. For details please refer to Language Requirement for SJTU International Graduate Programs. Applicants for master programs of Chinese Language and
Literature, Chinese History, and Philosophy offered by the School of Humanities are required to provide a certificate of HSK Band 6, 180 points and above (with each subtest no less than 60 points). Applicants for Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) offered by the School of Humanities are required to provide a certificate of HSK Band 6, 180 points and above (with each subtest no less than 60 points) and a certificate of HSKK Advanced, 60 points and above. To apply for the French program of SJTU-ParisTech Elite Institute of Technology, you must have a good level in French (≥B2) and
English, and for specific application requirements please contact the institute in advance.
- 2021 application opens: Oct 1, 2020
- Deadline for 1st Round scholarship application: Dec 15, 2020
- Deadline for 2nd Round scholarship application: Mar 31, 2021
- Deadline for self-supported application: May 31, 2021
- Enrollment: Sep 4, 2021
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Complete the Online Application
Complete and submit an online application at Study@SJTU (http://isc.sjtu.edu.cn/) before the application deadline. If you wish to apply for the scholarship at the same time, please complete the application before the scholarship deadline.
Step 2: Pay the Application Fee
The application fee is RMB 800 (approx. USD 120), non-refundable and non-transferable. Payment must be made in RMB or USD. You can choose online payment or bank transfer in the online application system.
MATERIALS TO PREPARE
- Degree certificates, in scanned files. Applicants who have not graduated by the time of application are required to provide an official letter from their current university stating the expected graduation date.
- Transcripts, in scanned files. Master’s program applicants are required to submit undergraduate transcripts. Doctoral program applicants are required to submit both
undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
- Proof of Language proficiency. （ pls see Language Requirement for SJTU International Graduate Programs）
- Scanned copy of passport.
- Passport-size photo.
- Personal statement and study plan.
- Two letters of academic recommendation from scholars who are associate professors or above, or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow the instructions on the online system for submission of online recommendation letters or upload the recommendation letters with original signatures.
- If you are applying for programs of the School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, you are required to contact the supervisor beforehand and provide an acceptance letter by the supervisor.
Note: If your documents are not in English or Chinese, please have them translated into either English or Chinese by an authorized translation agency. Then upload both the translated and original documents onto the application system.
- RMB 45,500/Year for Doctoral programs (Approx. USD 6,600/Year)
Tuition of Master programs varies with the program, so please check SJTU 2021 international graduate program list for details.
Basically, for incoming international graduate students, there are two channels for scholarship application: through Shanghai Jiao Tong University or through Chinese Embassies/Consulates in the home country. Applicants may choose only one application channel. Replicated applications
through more than one channels is not allowed.
- How to Apply
- Apply for scholarships through SJTU
Starting from 2021, scholarships for doctoral programs will consist of: SJTU Fellowship, CSC/SGS Scholarship, SJTU Scholarship. And scholarships for Master programs will consist of: CSC/SGS Scholarship, SJTU Scholarship, School/College Scholarship. Details of each scholarship will be on the application system.
When applying at http://apply.sjtu.edu.cn/ applicants should choose “apply for scholarship through SJTU”and follow the steps online. Applicants should complete the scholarship application procedures in time according to the requirements of the university.
The earlier an applicant completes the application, the sooner he/she receives an offer of admission and scholarships if the review result from the university is positive. Applicants can check the scholarships result through the application system.
- Apply for scholarships through Chinese Embassies/Consulates in the home country
Applicants may also apply to the Chinese Embassies/Consulates in the home country for scholarship opportunities. The application schedule varies from country to country (usually from November to April).
Please consult the Chinese Embassy/Consulate about its application schedule, eligibility, requirements, procedures, documents, agency number, program category type and so on in advance.
For the contact information of Chinese Embassies/Consulates, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China at http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/.
- In general, scholarships duration cannot be extended.
- All scholarship recipients are obliged to participate in the annual scholarship review in April and/or May which will confirm their scholarship status in the next academic year.
For more information, please visit Official Website.